Winter is a complicated time for health, because it is when our defenses are at its lowest and all kinds of viruses can attack us more easily. Therefore, today, we bring you an article with tips to increase your defenses this winter.
Foods to increase defenses in winter
Here are the main foods with which you can improve your defenses:
- Salmon, tuna and mackerel: in the first place, these fish provide a good amount of vitamin D, which is essential to avoid deficiencies in the coldest times of the year and with less light (in fact, it is said many people in northern Europe had many diseases due to the cold and the lack of light except for the Vikings. The Vikings discovered the contribution of vitamin D in the fat of these fish).
- Milk fortified with vitamin D: following with vitamin D, it is very important that we increase the amount we take as much as possible. A good way to do it is with milk fortified with this vitamin. In this way, we will obtain the vitamin and, in addition, all the benefits of milk.
- Water: water is essential to cleanse the body. In winter, as we sweat less, we feel less thirsty. But just because we don’t feel so thirsty doesn’t mean we don’t have to drink. We must do it so that our body is clean.
- Kefir: kefir (actually, all fermented dairy products) will allow you to improve your defenses thanks to the large amount of probiotics they contain. And we know that probiotics are very useful in fighting infections of all kinds.
- Royal Jelly: Finally, there is the royal jelly. Royal jelly has a high content of vitamins A, B, C and E, iron, phosphorus, calcium … In short, it is a food with a large amount of nutrients that will strengthen our body very effectively.
Other tips to strengthen defenses in winter
Now, in addition to food, we are going to give you some additional keys with which you can improve your defenses:
- Sleep better: the first of these tips is to sleep better. When the body is rested it works better, and that applies to the whole body, including the immune system. If you are rested, you will be less likely to be sick and better fight viruses.
- Go for a walk when it’s sunny: the sun is very important. Among other things, it allows us to have more vitamin D. In addition, walking is very good for the circulatory system. And, on top of all that, it has positive effects on the mind. For all these reasons, going out for walks when it is sunny can contribute to less illness.
- Be careful with changes in temperature: of course, it is important to be careful with changes in temperature, since these can irritate the mucous membranes of the throat and facilitate the entry of viruses.
- Avoid closed spaces: many people believe that in winter more diseases are caught by the cold, but this is not the case. Diseases are caught by viruses, and they do not depend on temperature. Now, since it is colder in winter, we tend to spend more time indoors, and there it is easier to catch viruses. Therefore, avoiding such confined spaces is a smart move.
As you can see, increasing your defenses this winter doesn’t have to be complicated. All you have to do is improve your diet and, if necessary, go to a supplement that helps strengthen your defenses