Vitamins to increase your defenses in winter
Maintaining strong defenses is essential to be well protected against all kinds of diseases. However, with age and bad habits, it is normal for these defenses to be diminished. Today, we will tell you about vitamins to boost your defenses in winter.
Symptoms that indicate low defenses
Before we mention the vitamins you should take, let us tell you what symptoms are indicative of low defenses:
- Frequent infections: the immune system is responsible for protecting the body from infections, so one of the best symptoms to identify low defenses is the presence of frequent infections, such as tonsillitis or herpes.
- Aggravated illnesses: there are some illnesses that are very difficult not to catch, such as colds, caused by rhinoviruses. If you have a strong immune system, these colds last a few days and are not a problem. In contrast, when defenses are weak, these simple diseases can become long and complicated.
- Excessive tiredness: a body with a weakened immune system (that is, with low defenses) is a body that cannot cope with even the smallest of problems, and, as a consequence, constantly feels tired. If you are usually tired, it is probably because your immune system is not as well as it should be.
- Stomach pain: in the stomach there are a large number of cells that carry out different types of work. Generally, if the cells of the immune system are weak, those of the rest of the body will be too. Therefore, having recurring stomach pain can also be a good indicator of low defenses.
Vitamins necessary to raise defenses in winter
Here are the main vitamins to take in winter to strengthen your defenses:
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A helps regulate T lymphocytes, which are cells of the immune system. That is, those that are responsible for protecting the body from bacteria and viruses. Therefore, its presence in the body is essential. In addition, they also protect the mucous membranes of the body, preventing the entry of infectious agents. Therefore, they protect us doubly.
- Vitamin B: vitamins of group B also serve to strengthen the immune system. Therefore, it will serve the same purpose as vitamin A. However, you should not think that having one is already protected. You need both.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C favors the production of T lymphocytes. In other words, while A makes them work better, vitamin C makes sure there are more. So the combination of both vitamins ensures a very robust immune system. In addition, vitamin C also helps that, if we become infected by a virus or bacteria, the symptoms are milder and last less time.
- Vitamin D: vitamin D is responsible for activating T lymphocytes. That is, vitamin A makes them work more, vitamin C allows you to have more, and vitamin D is responsible for “warning” the lymphocytes They don’t have to get to work. So if you have a lot of vitamin A and a lot of vitamin C, but no vitamin D, you won’t get anything. That is why it must have all three.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that is responsible for keeping cells strong and without deterioration. In this way, all cells, including T lymphocytes, will be better able to do their job.
As you can see, there are many vitamins to boost your defenses in winter, which, used well, can help you. Of course, along with vitamins, you should have a healthy diet and habits, as well as adequate sleep at night.